Learning about breast cancer and its treatment is a good way to feel more in control of your situation. It may also prepare you for discussions with your doctors.
Breast cancer is treated in different ways. Your specialists will talk to you about which options are best suited to your individual needs. Remember that your situation is unique and your treatment may be different from that of other people.
Breast cancer treatments
There are a number of treatment options for breast cancer. These include:
The following tips aim to help you work through your treatment options.
- Read information before your appointment so you are prepared for what your doctors might discuss with you. It will also help you prepare questions you might want to ask them.
- Our My Journey online tool is a free resource that provides up-to-date, reliable information tailored to your changing needs and circumstances at all stages of your breast cancer journey.
- Talking to others on the online network may also help. You might find that they have a good understanding of what you’re going through.
- Choose how much information you want. Every woman’s needs are different and it’s up to you to decide how much you want to know ahead of time.
- Let your doctor know how you’re feeling so he or she can help you with any side effects.
If you would like more information on breast cancer treatment, you might like to consider the following resources:
- Read our section on choosing your medical team. It provides information on choosing the people who may be involved in your treatment and care.
- Read our section on breast cancer and treatment for young women. It covers key issues for pre-menopausal women diagnosed with breast cancer.