As of 1 November 2022, if you are under the age of 60 and at high risk of developing breast cancer because of a strong family history or a genetic mutation, you may qualify for a Medicare rebate for a breast MRI every year.
Breast MRIs are quite expensive at around $700. In order to obtain a rebate, you need to:
- meet the eligibility criteria for high risk of developing breast cancer
- have a referral for a breast MRI from a specialist
- have the MRI conducted on a Medicare-eligible MRI unit
- have the MRI conducted by a Medicare-eligible provider.
- MBS Online Webpage
- For more information, visit the Department of Health website.