Throughout the year, BCNA Member Groups, BCNA Community Liaisons and members gather together to show support and pay tribute to people in their local community affected by breast cancer and their families.
These tribute events are called Mini-Fields of Women (MFOW). They centre on an exhibition of 100 Pink Lady silhouettes planted in the ground or on display, and often include a simple ceremony. Family and friends are invited to write personal messages to be displayed on the silhouettes.
Every community presents their Mini-Fields of Women tribute event in their own way. Over the years, BCNA has seen a wonderful variety of distinctive events. Some big, some small, some public, some private. They can even be part of other local events e.g. Farmers Markets, Showdays.
BCNA provides Pink Lady silhouettes and decorations at no cost. These events can also have an optional fundraising component such as collection tins.
How you can get involved
Find a tribute in your community
Hold a Mini-Field of Women event
Support and pay tribute to those in your community affected by breast cancer by holding a Mini-Field of Women.
It's easy - Just follow these steps:
- Gather a small group of family and friends to help you
- Set a date and time of day (any time or date that suits you)
- Register your event
- Once your completed registration form has been received, BCNA’s delightful Community Fundraising Team will be in touch with you and you will also receive an 'event in a box', which includes 100 Pink Lady silhouettes and BCNA information and brochures
Our first Mini-Field was inspiring. It was moving and at the same time enjoyable to run. New women put their names down to become involved in our newly formed breast cancer support group. - Margaret.
Useful tips for holding your Mini-Field of Women
- Keep it simple and manageable
- For public events, choose a location that is visible. If you planning on using council or private land, you will need to seek approval for use early (i.e. 6 - 8 weeks ahead)
- If you plan to have guest speakers, confirm them at least 6 to 8 weeks out
- Use the invitation template to spread the word about your event
- Use the Media Release template to promote your event through local media
- Use the checklist, certificate and form in the Mini-Fields guidelines to plan your event
Mini-Field of Women ideas
- Hold a healthy breakfast, morning or afternoon tea
- Picnic or BBQ with friends
- A private event in a woman's home
- Morning tea or lunch in local cafe
- Walk through local community to plant silhouettes in public gardens, local parks or sporting ovals, round-a-bouts or private gardens
- Candle lighting ceremony or silent walk
- Window display of Pink Lady silhouettes at Community Health Centre, hospital, local shopping centre or your local fitness centre
- Lap of Honour of local park
- Roll-call of breast cancer survivors to celebrate life
- A Tai Chi session or other relaxation exercises in the park
- Poetry readings
- For some inspiration, see photos from past Mini-Field events or read some of our women's Mini-Fields experiences
- If you have any questions about Mini-Fields of Women, we would love to hear from you. Please do not hesitate contact Marita O'Keefe, Community Fundraising Coordinator on 1800 500 258 or send an email to email@example.com