BCNA’s Mini-Fields of Women tribute events have become an iconic and permanent fixture on the calendar in many local communities and can be held at any time of the year.
Their purpose is to show support and pay tribute to people in your local community affected by breast cancer, and their families.
These tribute events centre on an exhibition of 100 or more silhouettes planted in the ground or on display indoors, and often include a simple ceremony. Family and friends are invited to write personal messages to be displayed on the silhouettes.
Every community presents their Mini-Fields of Women tribute event in their own way. Over the years, BCNA has seen a wonderful variety of distinctive events. Some big, some small, some public, some private, some corporate and some community. They can even be part of other local events such as farmers markets, show days or community sporting events. These events can also have an optional fundraising component such as collection tins, raffles or bake sales.
Thanks to our Mini-Field of Women Principal Partner Opal, BCNA is able to provide our new Mini Field of Women kits at no cost to the community.
We do however ask that unless otherwise arranged with BCNA’s Community Fundraising Team via PLCE@bcna.org.au, that all Mini Field of Women kits are returned to BCNA after your event so they can be reused or recycled.
BCNA’s Mini-Field of Women kits are essentially an “event in a box” available in two different formats depending on the nature of your event.
- Outdoor Kit- This contains 102 corflute silhouettes -100 pink ladies, 1 blue man (representing men diagnosed with breast cancer) and 1 white lady (representing those who are sadly no longer with us). These outdoor silhouettes are designed to be weatherproof and can be staked into a soft ground like an oval, lawn or garden bed.
- Indoor Kit- This contains 102 free standing cardboard silhouettes - 100 pink ladies, 1 blue man and 1 white lady which have been designed to be used indoors.
Both kits will arrive in a beautiful pink box designed to be easily opened and resealed making it easy to store or return your kit once your event is complete.
In addition to the 102 silhouettes each kit will contain:
- 105 tribute tags for guests to write their messages on
- 105 metal stakes to plant outdoor silhouettes (outdoor kits only)
- A tribute box. This is a place for you to keep the tribute messages from your event and is yours to keep.
- An A2 sign used to communicate your Mini Field of Women event and acknowledge our principal sponsor Opal
How to hold a Mini-Field of Women Event
Support and pay tribute to those in your community affected by breast cancer by holding a Mini-Field of Women.
Here are some simple steps:
- Gather a small or large group of family, friends or colleagues to help you with your planning
- Set a date and time of day (any time or date that suits you)
- If you are hosting an event in a public space please check with your local council in case permits are required
- Register your event
- Once your completed registration form has been received, BCNA’s Community Fundraising Team will be in touch with you and organise for you to pick up or be sent an 'event in a box', which includes the Pink Lady silhouettes and tribute tags.
Our first Mini-Field was inspiring. It was moving and at the same time enjoyable to run. New women put their names down to become involved in our newly formed breast cancer support group. - Margaret.
Useful tips for holding your Mini-Field of Women
- Keep it simple and manageable
- For public events, choose a location that is visible. If you are planning on using council or private land, you will need to seek approval for use early (i.e. 6 - 8 weeks ahead)
- If you plan to have guest speakers, confirm them at least 6 to 8 weeks out
- Use the invitation template to spread the word about your event
- Use the checklist, certificate and form in the Mini-Fields guidelines to plan your event
- Plan to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land as part of your ceremony. Click here for more information.
Mini-Field of Women ideas
- Hold a healthy breakfast, morning or afternoon tea
- Picnic or BBQ with friends
- Include as part of another community or sporting event
- Include as part of a fundraising event at your workplace
- A private event in a woman's home
- Morning tea or lunch in local cafe
- Walk through local community to plant silhouettes in public gardens, local parks or sporting ovals, round-a-bouts or private gardens
- Candle lighting ceremony or silent walk
- Window display of Pink Lady silhouettes at Community Health Centre, hospital, local shopping centre or your local fitness centre
- Lap of Honour of local park
- Roll-call of breast cancer survivors to celebrate life
- A Tai Chi session or other relaxation exercises in the park
- Poetry readings
If you have any questions about Mini-Fields of Women, we would love to hear from you. Please do not hesitate contact the Community Fundraising and Events Team on 1800 673 416 or email PLCE@bcna.org.au