BCNA News 29 Jan 2013
Australia Day Awards
Breast Cancer Network Australia (BCNA) congratulates BCNA Ambassador Ita Buttrose on being named Australian of the Year 2013.
Ita began her association with BCNA in 2007 when she joined us as an Event Ambassador for the Field of Women LIVE. Like so many of the organisations she supports, Ita has been a wonderful champion for us.
Many congratulations to Ita on this recent honour from all the Pink Ladies.
BCNA would also like to extend our congratulations to three women who were honoured in the Australia Day 2013 Honours List for their work in breast cancer innovation and research:
- Professor Helen Zorbas AO, CEO of Cancer Australia and previously CEO of National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre (NBOCC)
- Professor Sally Redman AO, CEO of the Sax Institute, a national leader in promoting the use of research evidence in health policy, and formerly the inaugural Director of the National Breast Cancer Centre (NBCC)
- Heather Thorne OAM, Co-ordinator of the Kathleen Cuningham Foundation Consortium for research into Familial Breast Cancer (kConFab).
Their citations read as follows;
- Professor Helen Zorbas - For distinguished service to public health through leadership in the delivery of improved information and services to cancer patients and their families and contributions to research and clinical trials.
- Professor Sally Redman - For distinguished service to public health through leadership in the care of women with breast cancer, contributions to research and higher education and the promotion of relationships between researchers, policy makers and practitioners.
- Heather Thorne - For service to community health, particularly through breast cancer researc
BCNA also congratulates the following members who were recognised in their local communities for their contributions to supporting women and families affected by breast cancer:
Marlene Parsons (Vic) – Loch Sport Citizen of the Year Award for her work in the local community with women living with breast cancer through BCNA and local support group, the Waratah Breast Cancer Support Group.
Elizabeth Anttila (SA) – Whyalla Community Service Award for her breast cancer awareness and support work with the Whyalla Pink Spirits.
Robyn Daly (NSW) – Albury Volunteer of the Year for her work with dragon-boaters Bravehearts on the Murray and the Albury Wodonga Breast Cancer Support Group.
- Zoe Dunne (Qld) – Volunteer of the Year in Innisfail for her work with women with breast cancer.