I have recently had a second operation to try for clear margins after lumpectomy. Results: Margins are still not clear.
We have decided to go for an MRI (prior to third surgery) to see what comes up. This might help us with a decision about a third excision or going with a mastectomy instead post chemo.
Also met with the oncologist.... She is great. She is throwing the works at me for the usual reasons...age and biology of the tumors.
These decisions are so hard....so many of you elect a mastectomy first off. I wonder if this is partly due to the relationship of tumor size to breast size? You are so brave..... I am really struggling with the thought of losing my breasts, seems so violent. They have been well loved, it's not my breasts trying to kill me, it's the cancer in there. Can't help it, it's how I feel, however silly it sounds.
Anyway, it will come down to the outcome of the MRI. ( it seems I need a lot of convincing).