Shane Crawford, legendary Brownlow medallist, BCNA Ambassador and The AFL Footy Show personality, raised more than $1.32 million through his Tour de Crawf ride from Melbourne to Perth to raise funds and awareness for Breast Cancer Network Australia (BCNA).
The 3,600 kilometre Tour de Crawf – Ride to the other side was a gruelling 22-day marathon in which Shane averaged 170 kilometres a day. Leaving from Melbourne on Thursday 20 June 2013, Shane passed through towns such as Bendigo, Swan Hill, Mildura, Berri, Port Augusta, Kimba, Penong, Eucla, Madura, Norseman, Kalgoorlie, Yellowdine, Kellerberrin and finally into Perth on Thursday 11 July 2013.
While many people have attempted this ride, few are silly enough to take on the head winds of the Nullarbor. Tour de Crawf was a longer distance than the Tour de France in fewer days. But as we know, Shane loves a challenge and used the stories of those affected by breast cancer he met along the way to get him through this torturous bike ride.
On the AFL Footy Show, Maxine Morand, BCNA CEO, thanked Shane for his incredible achievement, describing the $1,328,249 raised through Tour de Crawf as ‘outstanding’.
'Shane has not only raised funds for BCNA, he has really touched the community and inspired a huge number of people. Shane occupies a very special place in the heart of all our members and on behalf of them all, thank you for your support of BCNA and all Australians affected by breast cancer.'
Through his charity achievements for Tour de Crawf, plus That’s What I’m Walkin’ About and Celebrity Apprentice, Shane has now raised more than $2.5 million for BCNA.
If you have been inspired by Crawf's extraordinary dedication to raise awareness and funds for Australians affected by breast cancer, here are some ways you can still get involved:
- Make an online donation and leave a personal message of support.
- Follow BCNA on Facebook and Twitter.
- Watch Tour De Crawf: Looking Back on the AFL Footy show website.
- Support BCNA and hold your own fundraising event.
BCNA would like to thank and acknowledge the following corporate sponsors of Tour de Crawf – Ride to the other side:
- Focus on Furniture - $65,000
- Bakers Delight - $36,000 plus CEO Roger Gillespie's personal $25,000 winning bid for Shane's bike
- Jetts Fitness - $44,000
- iSelect - $40,000
- Sussan - $35,000
- D'Orsogna - $20,000
- Sportsbet - $20,000
- Nissan - $15,000
- Swan Hill Inc - $15,000
- Advantage Property Consulting - $10,000
- Australian Lamb Co.- $10,000
- AFL - $10,000
- Buddy Ball - $10,000
- Casey College of Beauty Therapy - $10,000
- C-Bus - $10,000
- Coles - $10,000
- Crown - $10,000
- Elite Sport Properties - $10,000
- Equipsuper - $10,000
- Ezybonds - $10,000
- E&Z Trading - $10,000
- Giant Bikes - $10,000
- GJ Gardner Homes Bendigo - $10,000
- James Boags - $10,000
- Jellis Craig - $10,000
- Johnson Health Tech Australia - $10,000
- Karcher - $10,000
- Max Brown Real Estate - $10,000
- Mouse Promotions - $10,000
- New Age Caravans - $10,000
- New Idea - $10,000
- Pillow Pets - $10,000
- Snooze - $10,000
- Skechers - $10,000
- Spudshed Fresh Food Market - $10,000
- Sudocrem Healing Cream - $10,000
- Sweeney Real Estate - $10,000
- The Grand Final Comedy Debate - $10,000
- Wacker Neuson - $10,000
- Wave 1 - $10,000
- Wilson Security - $10,000
- Yellow Express Taxi Trucks - $10,000
BCNA would also like to thank Jayco for providing a fantastic motorhome for Crawf.